Released: June 30, 2014
How does your community’s library engagement compare with the rest of the country?
Are you a librarian, educator, civic leader or a member of the public who is interested in your local public library’s role in your community? Compare the library engagement of your library or group with the rest of the country using our new “community quiz” tool!
With the community quiz tool, you can learn how your community’s members use their local public library, how they think about their library’s impact on the community, and how they view the importance of libraries in the digital age. You will also see how the responses of your group compare with those of the general population, based on the results of our nationally representative September 2013 phone survey.
The new quiz tool allows you to create your own version of our library user quiz and invite members of your community to take it. You will then be able to see the overall results of everyone who have taken your version of the quiz. (Note: You will be able to see the aggregate quiz results for your group; everyone who takes the quiz will do so anonymously and the answers of individual respondents will not be available.)
To get started, click here to register your group. You will then receive an email with your unique URL and group ID, which you can use to invite members of your group to take your version of the quiz. (Check out our Help Center for more detailed instructions.)
In general, you have two main options for inviting members of your community to take your quiz:
- Option 1: Send them the unique URL you received in your registration email.
- Option 2: Send them the general group sign-in page at http://www.pewinternet.org/quiz/library-typology/group/ and tell them to use the group ID you received in your registration email.
Please note that anyone who takes the quiz with your unique URL or group ID will be considered part of your community, and thus counted in your results.
Important resources for creating a quiz:
- Create your own version of our library user quiz for your community or other group; we’ll send you an email with everything you need.
- Visit our Help Center for step-by-step instructions for creating a quiz, as well as suggestions for sharing your quiz with your community or group.
- Already created a group? Sign in here to see your results. And if you lose your ID and the registration email, go to the sign-in page and click “Forgot your group ID?“
More about our libraries research:
- If you’re new to our research, here’s an overview of our research on public libraries so far. Our research to date has focused on the role of public libraries in their communities, but we hope that many of the insights from our research will be applicable to other types of libraries as well.
- Read the original report about Americans’ engagement with public libraries that formed the basis for this quiz: From Distant Admirers to Library Lovers–and beyond: A typology of public library engagement in America
- Want to know more? See our previous reports for data on Americans’ reading habits, how Americans value libraries in their communities, and what services people use at public libraries and on library websites.